I recently worked with Citrix to troubleshoot the imaging process hanging at “vDisk found” when the virtual machine is restarted.
The following steps were followed for creating a vDisk:
- When creating the vDisk, boot the target to the hard drive
- Target icon should be inactive
- Run the Imaging Wizard
- Connect to the vDisk that was created
- Follow and finish the process
- When it states to restart due so but change the boot option now to DVD and point to the ISO
It's at this reboot stage that the boot up process hangs at vDisk found.
To verify all settings were set correctly, the following Citrix articles were referenced:
- CTX117374 – Best Practices for Configuring Provisioning Server on a Network.
- CTX123638 – Unable to Boot Disk Manager Boot a Virtual Machine with Multiple Local Hard Drives.
The solution was to remove all the attached drives from the virtual machine that is booting with BDM; except, of course, for the system drive that is being used to create the vDisk image.
It seems that the imaging process was hung trying to choose between the attached drives. Because the second drive was slated for the write cache, it was empty. This caused the image process to hang after reboot with a vDisk found message.