NIST held their first privacy framework workshop on 10/16/18 in Austin Texas. Representatives of NIST and private industry discussed the development of a privacy framework and plan to leverage the process used to develop the NIST Cybersecurity Framework. This will include workshops and sessions throughout the US to gather information.
The three hour event was recorded for additional viewing and can be found at the link above. The slides from the event are expected to be posted soon and a summary published in the next weeks.
Some of the goals for the framework discussed during this workshop are to:
- Be “compatible, seamless, and relentlessly interoperable” with existing compliance guidelines and rulesets
- Focus on the impact of the data collected- both allowed and not allowed
- Talk to users about usability of interfaces
- Develop a framework that can be used as a communication tool help with conversations at all levels
- Be part of broader risk strategy